If you are looking for freshly baked pizza and and tasty pasta, head over to Ecco Cafe. This cafe located in an old shop house has very simple and basic furnishings. It is located in Chulia Street and hence it is no surprise to see many tourist patronizing this cafe.
We were told that most of the food is made from scratch including the pizza dough, noodles and the bread. We opt for two thin crust pizza to share among us ... the Fungi Pizza with sliced tomatoes, mushroom and basil (RM16) and the Louisiana Pizza with salami, onion, tomato, olives, fresh chili and basil (RM17). We liked the thinness of the crust which is a bit crisp at the edges.
A plate of Salvatone Pasta comes with rings of salami, olives, mushrooms, onions and basil (RM15) and its a good size portion for us to share.
My son is enjoying himself all right...
Calzone - turnover pizza dough stuffed with turkey ham, tomato, basil, capsicum,onion, tomato sauce and cheese (RM18). The calzone is baked till golden brown and served piping hot.
Chicken Pot Pie with fillings of chicken cubes, peas, carrots, potatoes in a creamy sauce and baked with a pie-crust. It comes with a side salad and two bread sticks (RM16). It is a delicious pie.
All of us had the freshly ground coffee which was served in a plunger (RM10), complementing the delightful dessert, Crème Burlee (RM10). This is an egg custard pudding topped with a layer of hard caramel. The waiter heat up the top layer of brown sugar until golden brown with a blowtorch, much to our amazement.
All of us enjoyed the food and were stuffed in the end. If you love pizza and pasta and don't mind dining in a bit cramp place, do drop by 402, Chulia Street. It is just a couple of shops up from the junction of Cintra Street. It is open daily from 11.30am to 2.30pm and from 6pm to 10.30pm except Sunday. Tel. no. 04 -2623178.
On the slightly downside, it could be a bit noisy due to the heavy traffic on this busy street.
22 comments
oh..it's me taking your vip seat again..haha..the chic pie looks yummylicious..
btw, they still served the kopi in the traditional cup..so 'yeng' le..
hmm.... i like pizza la.... we had try a lot of pizza last week.. no time to arrange the posting.. hmm..
this shud be the one Huat Koay keep on telling to pay a trip to town to make our pizza week more complete...
yum yum....
tau sar phneah - nice of you dropping by so early.
Drinking from this type of traditional coffee cup definitely gives one the nostalgic feeling...
There are plenty more items in their menu to choose from besides those that I had. Give it a try and I am sure all of you will like it.
oh, Ecco Cafe, I think I saw this before, when we stayed at a guesthz there.
i like pizzas that's thin, and lighter than Pizza Hut's offerings.
I love cheesy pizza. Oh no, it's off on Sunday. :(
J2Kfm - there are plently of guesthouses around this area therefore you see mostly foreigners patronizing this place.
I think they should know better whether the taste is good or not.
This pizza can outbeat those serve by many franchise outlets.
Little Inbox - I am sure you will be able to find a day to visit this place. Besides those pizza from the menu, you can even order a pizza with your own choice of ingredients (made to order pizza) :)
I like this restaurant too, I heard that even their herbs are home-grown products. Not sure if it is true.
The thin crust pizza
and salvatone Pasta looks nice & delicious..hope can eat now^^
Really truly gorgeous food here! However, I think they went overboard with the recent price hike. Considering it's still basically a kopitiam type premise (albeit with nicer lighting), the prices are a bit hard to stomach. Still, can't beat the freshness and the originality!
you finally have your blog up on Ecco .. thanks so much!! will go visit it probably this weekend, sad it's closed on sundays :(
Soo Sean - it would be great if they are growing their own herbs as many oversea restaurants are doing the same too - fresh from the garden.
Shell - just add this place to your dining list and make it a point to try out the food when you are around town...yr list must be quite long by now...haha
550ml jar of faith - It is slightly pricier (especially the creme burlee) but in return we get an originality taste and very fresh and delicious food without any tax and service charges :)
Penang's Baby Shop - I am sure you won't want to miss out such yummy food right, so try to accomodate a few hours lor...
is their pasta good? or just average??
I like thin crust pizza more than the normal one.
The Pasta and the pizza looks yummy.
I luv creme burlee. yummmy...
Penangtuapui,
You may want to try the US Pizza at Greenlane to complete your pizza week. The cinnamon stick is so tasty.
New Kid on the Blog - Their tomato puree for the pasta is very original and tasteful :)
Allie - After eating pizza with thin crust, you will never want to eat those thick ones...do try out the yummylicious creme burlee.
CK,
There is one dish on the menu that is a *must-try*.
It's called TRUZ and it's actually cream pasta with bananas. Yup, you read right : Bananas! :D
The first time the owner recommended it to me, I was kinda sceptical thinking that the combination would be weird but boy, was I in for a nice surprise! It's now on top of my 'to-order' items when I go there for my pasta fix.
And the Crème brulée...man, no words can describe it's yumminess! I fell madly in love with it that I persuaded the owner to teach me how to make it. I now have my own ramekins (the round bowl to bake Crème brulée) and my own blowtorch (easily purchaseable from Prangin Mall). It's really a breeze to bake at home and also, a lot of fun! :D
Penang is surely a food haven, an old shophouse cafe serving delicious pizza and creme brulee together with kopi oh...
Sweet Jasmine - unlike commercial places that we frequent nowadays, this old shophouse cafe does gives a nostalgic feeling.
eleen por: cream pasta with bananas?? sure? must give it a try then!
Eleen Por - Truz sounds great...something unusual, definitely will give it a try...thanks.
Hahahaha, wait till you come an try your son's home made creme brulee. This is no match at all. Trust me mum.
But I must admit this fellow is quite brave to bring such a concept in the PG market.
Aldren - Hope I have the privilege to try your version of creme brulee real soon :)
Post a Comment